(Illinois Department of Corrections / Family photo / Chicago Tribune)

Everyday, there’s some heartbreaking story about a child.

God bless the children.

John Singleton, 31, was charged with first degree murder, aggravated kidnapping, and aggravated battery to a police officer in connection with the death of 12 year old Alexis Stubbs.

The murder occurred in the 4600 block of North Beacon in Sheridan Park. Singleton and his girlfriend had a fight over cigarettes which eventually turned into an argument about his living situation, according to Chicago Assistant State’s Attorney Guy Lisuzzo.

At some point in the day, Alexis and her mother went to get cigarettes for a neighbor. Apparently, the mother talked to Singleton on the phone and requested he leave her home.

When they returned, Alexis got out of the car to give cigarettes to her neighbor. As she walked toward her mother’s car, Singleton grabbed her by the hair and threw her to the ground. He then pulled out a hammer and raised it in Alexis’s direction as she was “cowering on the floor in fear,” said Lisuzzo.

He then grabbed the girl and took her inside the apartment. Meanwhile, Alexis’s mother phoned 911. Alexis’s mother received multiple calls from Singleton, taunting her that he would hurt Alexis.

During one of those calls, which went to voicemail, Alexis can be heard screaming “Please, Daddy, don’t,” said prosecutors.

The officer arrived to find a bloody Alexis crawling from the apartment. Singleton, who holding a hammer and knife, managed to flee the scene.

Alexis was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

But Singleton still was not done. he continued to taunt her mother. 

“See wat u made me do,” the texts read, according to prosecutors. “I really hope DCFS take her from u if only she survive wat I done to her.”

“”U [expletive] made me kill my only child … believe it or not u gon pay for this.”

Singleton was arrested on Sunday, where he was discovered in a portable toilet after being tracked by his cell phone.

He admitted to hitting Alexis multiple times with a hammer and stabbing her with a knife. He is also charged with aggravated battery of a police officer for attacking a detective while in custody.

Police found a bloody knife in a nearby alley, which Alexis’ mother later identified as having come from her kitchen.   

Video survellance captured Singleton pacing around the interview room and doing pushups before police walked inside. 

He then punches a detective when police tried to restrain him, prosecutors said. He also indicated that he wanted police to kill him, according to Lisuzzo.

Singleton was fresh out of prison after serving time for a 2014 incident where he choked Alexis’ mother, and Alexis witnessed the assault, Assistant State’s Attorney Guy Lisuzzo said.

Apparently, girl’s mother had kept in touch while he was on lock down. They apparently reconciled and Singleton when he was paroled, he came to stay with Alexis and her mother in the North Side apartment where they lived.

An order of protection was placed against Singleton by Alexis’ mother, but it expired December.

Singleton has been ordered held without bond.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s